Black pepper chicken is a traditional dish from the Hunan Province in South Central China. It is prepared with diced chicken, chopped celery, sliced onions and fresh ground pepper tossed in a mild ginger soy sauce.
If it's well seasoned, black pepper chicken is probably on of the best things you can get at a Chinese restaurant. Normally thigh meat is used in this dish but I decided to use chicken breasts instead because I prefer the flavor. You might wast a little extra sauce to go with your rice.
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 lb boneless chicken breast
1 tsp soy sauce
6 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp black pepper
1 white onion sliced
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 celery stalks sliced
1 tsp rice wine
oil for frying
- Mix together all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Dust chicken pieces with corn starch until fully coated.
- Deep fry chicken in wok or skillet in batches until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Clean out frying pan.
- Heat about 1 Tbsp of oil.
- Add onions and carrots and cook for a minute or two.
- Add sauce mixture and heat until bubbling.
- Add chicken stirring to fully coat with the sauce.